Matthew 7:7-8 says, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened”
Seeking is the second part in the progressive A-S-K principle. In the first level, one starts asking then, one starts seeking and thirdly, starts knocking. Seeking is a progressive job and we need to seek with extreme care and diligence. According to the dictionary, the synonym for the word ‘seek’ is search.
Seeking implies two things :
1. You are searching for something new
2. You lost something and you’re searching for it
We all seek new things in our lives. For example, people who have businesses search for new ideas, some seek for a way out when in tough situations, the unemployed seek for a job, some seek for understanding, wisdom, knowledge and for the pathway to success. You can seek many new things in life. It is written ‘Seek and you will find’.
In Luke 15, the lost and found chapter of the Bible, there are three things lost that are mentioned through three different parables.
1. The lost sheep – The shepherd leaves his 99 sheep out in the open and goes after the lost sheep until he finds it. He didn’t rest until he found what he lost.
2. The lost coin – There was a woman who lost a coin and even though she had other coins with her, she still lights up a lamps and searches carefully for what she lost.
3. The lost son – This is probably one of the most famous parable of the lost and found. The father would pray every moment for the loss of his younger son. He was praying continuously and looking out through the windows and door for the return of his son. He was always searching and seeking.
So, through these parables, Jesus is teaching us that is you lose something in life then you have to keep searching until you find it and get it back.
We should seek God in a diligent manner. Hebrews 11:6 says, “…He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him”. Man’s greatest need is not wealth, peace, or enjoyment but it is God. Generally, due to the sinful nature of man, he is religious but does not seek God diligently. Instead, they end up searching for God in the wrong way and in the wrong place.
Seeking diligently means searching very carefully, in a serious and determined way. God is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him, not those who casually seek Him. Diligent seeking involves hardwork, careful and watchful work. This requires tireless, relentless and preserving search with great care. Jesus’ life mission was to seek and save the lost (Luke 19:10).
We mainly face hinderances due to two reasons:
1. The crowd, others in religion, community, tradition will become a road block in front of you.
2. Our short stature, referring to our shortcomings and limitations and our own sinful nature.
But, Jesus seeked for that one man, Zacchaeus and this seeking was mutual.
There is an instruction that can be heeded; one should search for a deeper level experience with the Lord. Never be satisfied with what you have today and always have that unquenchable thirst in your life. (Refer- 2 Chronicles 7:14, Colossians 3:1, Isaiah 55:5)
1. Unless you seek, you won’t find
Matthew 7:7-8 says, “seek, and you will find … the one who seeks finds…”
2. Seek God first above everything else
Matthew 6:33 says, ” But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you”
3. Seek God with your Spirit or your heart
John 4:23 says, … the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him”.
4. When you seek God, he comes nearer to you
James 4:8 says, ” Draw near to God and He will draw near to you”
Psalm 34:18 says, “The Lord is close to the broken-hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit”
5. God provides for those who seek him
Psalm 34:10 says, “The lions may grow weak and hungry, but this who seek the Lord lack no good thing”
Verse 4 says, ” I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears”
6. God greatly rewards those who seek him
Hebrews 11:6 says ,”… He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him“
Watch the whole sermon here:
View All Events